The non-profit youth hostelling association Les Auberges de Jeunesse asbl was established in 1933. In line with the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, it aims to promote social tourism, cultural tourism and travel for young people, and to play a role in developing the potential of young people, thereby contributing towards their education and responsible citizenship in a humanist spirit.
To this end, the association aims in particular:
- to create, run and lead a network of Youth Hostels, centres for meetings and accommodation;
- to involve local young people in the activities of these hostels;
- to create and maintain in its hostels a friendly atmosphere among all the guests who will be welcomed there without distinction as to age, colour, religion, nationality, language, sex or opinion;
- to make the Belgian and worldwide youth hostel network known to young people using appropriate means;
- to undertake all these actions adopting an approach characterised by sustainable development and respect for the environment.
Les Auberges de Jeunesse asbl is a member of:
- Hostelling International (HI), the worldwide youth hostel network which has over 4,000 establishments in 90 countries ;
- the International Social Tourism Organisation (ISTO);
- the Belgian Confédération des Organisations de Jeunesse Indépendantes et Pluralistes (COJ).
Les Auberges de Jeunesse asbl is recognised as:
- a youth organisation by the Wallonia-Brussels Federation, and all the youth hostels are recognised as youth centres in the “Meeting and accommodation centres” category;
- a social tourism organisation by the Walloon Region as well as by COCOF, the Commission of the French-speaking Community of the Brussels-Capital Region).
Les Auberges de Jeunesse asbl and its youth hostels have been awarded the following certificates and labels:
- HI-Q, official quality certificate of Hostelling International (HI) ;
- Wallonie Destination Qualité, Walloon label awarded to tourist establishments that perform well in terms of quality of service, quality of management and overall quality management system;
- The Green Key, European ecolabel awarded to high-performance tourist establishments for sustainable development.